Retro-inspired action platformers don’t normally give themselves an extended promotional run-in to release, but perhaps Berserk Boy can pull it off. Though it’s not due until Q4 2022 on Switch and various other platforms, it looks particularly good in its initial announcement details.
As you can see in the video above the developer BerserkBoy Games has some fun ideas; as outlined by studio founder Zu Ehtisham in the press release it shoots for the same genre as franchises like Mega Man, Sonic, Pulseman and Gunvolt. You can certainly see various influences in some of the game ideas.
Game features, and confirmation that Tee Lopes (Sonic Mania and various other projects) is working on the soundtrack, are below.
- Change into different Berserk forms: Merge with the five Berserk Force Orbs – Lightning, Fire, Earth, Air, and Ice – and absorb their unique abilities!
- Go Berserk! Chain together combos to fill your Berserk Meter and trigger a form’s special attack! Upgrade and become even more powerful!
- Explore New Hope City and beyond: Jump, dash, slam, and slide through multiple sprawling stages! Find alternate paths and hidden collectibles!
- A modern adventure with a retro feel: Slick and stylish platforming action inspired by a love for the genre greats! Play for big scores and fast times!
- Music by Sonic Mania composer Tee Lopes: Full original soundtrack pumping with high-energy 16-bit nostalgia! Enjoy the beats as you Go Berserk!
It’s still some way off, but let us know what you think of this initial look at Berserk Boy.